Resources for Seniors
I’ve been lecturing and discussing the subject of downsizing from a long-time home for over 20 years. It’s one thing to speak from other’s experience but now I can truly speak from my very personal journey through our purging journey! Read the whole story here and view my guide below on the 10 steps to downsizing I put together to help you.
- New: 50 PLUS 2016 Resource Guide to senior living
- Moving Checklist by Transit Systems
- 50 PLUS 2015 Next Issue: Retirement Tool Kit and timeline
- A Place for Mom Resources: Helpful resources for seniors and caregivers in the greater Milwaukee, WI area, including assisted living facilities, memory care communities and professionals who help seniors. The site additionally has local government and community services as well a Senior Living Cost Index.
- Accredited Buyer Representative (ABR): The Accredited Buyer Representative (ABR) designation is the benchmark of excellence in buyer representation. This coveted designation is awarded to real estate practitioners by the Real Estate Buyer’s Agent Council (REBAC) of the National Association of Realtors who meet the specified education and practical experience criteria.
- American Home Shield (AHS): AHS provides comprehensive, affordable home warranty coverage and service on mechanical system failures while your home is on the market. This coverage can be extended by the new owner when the home is sold.
- Angie’s List: Angie’s list is a word-of-mouth network for consumers looking for local service companies such as plumbers, carpenters, roofers, etc.
- Better Business Bureau (Wisconsin): This organization promotes ethical business practices and public confidence through voluntary self-regulation, consumer and business education, and service excellence.
- Counsil of Residential Specialists: The association was created to recruit and retain those realtors seeking the knowledge, tools, and relationship-building opportunities needed to maximize their professionalism in residential real estate.
- U.S. Government Eldercare Finder: The Eldercare Locator is designed to help older adults and their families and caregivers find their way through the maze of services for seniors by identifying trustworthy local support resources. The goal is to provide users with the information and resources they need that will help older persons live independently and safely in their homes and communities for as long as possible.
- Home Security of America (HAS): This company provides comprehensive, affordable home warranty coverage and service on mechanical system failures while your home is on the market. Coverage can be extended by the new owner when the home is sold.
- National Association of Senior Move Managers (NASMM): NSAMM is a nonprofit, professional association of organizations dedicated to helping older adults and their families with the physical and emotional aspects of moving. Members are committed to maximizing the dignity and autonomy of older adults as they transition from one living environment to another.
- New LifeStyles Online: New Lifestyles Online is the ultimate resource for senior living and care options. This site provides you with everything you need to make an informed, comfortable decision about your own or your loved one’s future. Extensive resources are easily accessible, which not only saves you time and money, but helps cut down on the frustration of trying to find information from multiple sources, agencies, or organizations. Whether you are looking for an Independent Retirement Community, Assisted Living Facilities, Senior Housing, Nursing Home, Alzheimer’s Care, Home or Hospice Care, or other senior product or senior service, New LifeStyles Online can help you find what’s right for you.
- The Senior Advantage Real Estate Council (SAREC): Senior Real Estate Specialist (SRES) are realtors qualified to meet the special needs and concerns of maturing Americans. They have completed the necessary educational program and demonstrate the knowledge and expertise to counsel senior clients through major financial and lifestyle transitions involved in relocating, refinancing, or selling the family home.
- Senior Guidance: SeniorGuidance.org provides comprehensive resources on various senior living options, including: assisted living facilities, senior living communities, nursing homes, independent living communities, continuing care retirement communities (CCRC) and all other long term senior care options, including memory care such as Alzheimer's or Dementia.
- Senior Law Home Page: This is a Web site where senior citizens, their families, attorneys, social workers, and financial planners can access information about elder law, Medicare, Medicaid, guardianship, estate planning, trusts, and the rights of the elderly and disabled.
- Society of Certified Senior Advisors (CSA): CSAs understand how to build effective relationships with seniors because the CSA education has given them a broad-based knowledge of the health, social, and financial issues that are important to seniors, along with the dynamics of how these factors work together in seniors’ lives. The Society of Certified Senior Advisors teaches professionals what’s important to seniors and how – always – to put their clients’ interests first.